12 November, 2019

BMA Clinic Report - November 9, 2019

This was one of the hottest clinics I can remember...and it's November!

The night before the clinic, our latest rescue, a wolf-dog, began looking for a cave and by 8 pm she was birthing. I had to go to bed early to be ready for the clinic so Wally camped out and helped her with the births. I woke up at 4 am to 2 little wolf cubs and to give Papa Wally some relief and there were chores to be done before heading for the clinic.

Nena, Chemo, Kenny and Ana had a beautiful full setup by the time I got there and there were two early clients checked in. I love starting the clinic that way. How wonderful to have a capable, dependable team that early in the day.

I worried that I had overbooked the day. Now I fully understand how Anne rarely said "no" to anyone who needed an appointment. Before I left my driveway this morning, my neighbor was asking for 3 appointments for 3 female cats. I already had 24 confirmed appointments but how could I say no when I did the numbers...so I said yes. As it often goes, the ones I think are coming for sure, didn't show. In the end, as always, it all worked out. We treated 9 female cats, 6 female dogs and 4 male dogs. 19 plus 2 consultations was a full enough day.

We had a most wonderful surprise mid-morning. We received something we have been longing for for a long, long time: a pet scale! A wonderful, pet scale! Steve and Michelle donated the new scale, a large dog crate, a box of dog diapers and box of tick and flea treatment. What can I say - it was like Christmas! This makes our work much easier. Try picking up a 30 kilo dog that you don't know to stand on a 12" x 15" platform. Not fun... No more. The dog stands on the scale alone and it's weight is measured even as it moves all-squiggly on a super large platform - easy-peasy.
Another wonderful thing happened...Kate is back with lunch!  When I told the volunteers they started a hallelujah choral - that's the truth, I kid you not!

After practically abusing our new volunteer, Leslie, last month, she was back for the full day with great loving care for our recovering dogs. She came in with a pitiful pup, belly swollen with parasites and carrying more ticks than a buffalo...not a way for a baby to start a life. She gave the pobrecita a bath and afterwards we had to pick ticks off Leslie! For all her tender heart she's also tough when it comes to caring for animals. We are so happy to welcome her to our community.

Today was another great day, another great clinic.

Thank you everyone. The generous impulse of our community is humbling. It is how we are able to function. We could not begin to do what we do without what you do. This is the wonder of giving. It feels good to give and it makes others want to reciprocate. It is an honor to be in this cycle of giving and receiving. These are lasting and meaningful connections.

Here's a heads up! Next clinic, December 14th, we are having an open house at our BMA clinic site, which is also the Museum. We will be doing what we always do, spaying and neutering, but we will also be having a mini flea market with food! Talk about full-service! We invite our neighbors and friends to come see us at work and gain some deals as a teaser for our upcoming Silent Auction in January. Please lend your support for raising funds for another year's worth of monthly clinics. 

See you next month!
Kenny - worth his weight in gold

No comments:

Post a Comment